Friday, November 11, 2011

Strange DB Timeouts on SharePoint

For some reason, some of the SharePoint servers could not connect to the SQL Server. Some of the servers did not have a problem. The previous day everything was working, and nothing changed.

I could ping and telnet to the SQL Server, but still had the error.

I ran the following command to clear out the ARP Cache. That fixed the problem:

netsh interface ip delete arpcache

Now that I mention it, the network department had some issues.... mmmm.

User information not updated on SharePoint

When a user's full name or part there of, then the profile is not updated on SharePoint.
To fix, run:

stsadm -o migrateuser -oldlogin -newlogin

If you get the following error:

New user account does not have valid SID history.

Then run the command:

stsadm -o migrateuser -oldlogin -newlogin -igonoresidhistory

Last step, do an incremental import of user profiles on SharedServices.

Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Alerts partially not working

Some users on certain sites do not get alerts. Another bloggers post helped me.

Basically you do the following:

stsadm -o updatealerttemplates -url http://testserver -f "c:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\web server extensions\12\TEMPLATE\XML\alerttemplates.xml" -LCID 2057

I only used:

stsadm -o updatealerttemplates -url http://testserver

It worked for me.