Wednesday, December 14, 2011

How to identify which w3wp.exe process is which Application Pool

Have no worries, Microsoft has given us the exact tool for the situation.
IISApp.vbs lists all the applications, their PID and their App Pool name.

The script is already placed in systemroot\system32 on Windows Server 2003 so simply go to your Command Prompt and type in iisapp.vbs (the .vbs is optional) and you'll have an instant list of all the App Pool information you've always wanted to know.

You may need to type cscript iisapp.vbs instead if CScript isn't your default WSH script host.

Friday, November 11, 2011

Strange DB Timeouts on SharePoint

For some reason, some of the SharePoint servers could not connect to the SQL Server. Some of the servers did not have a problem. The previous day everything was working, and nothing changed.

I could ping and telnet to the SQL Server, but still had the error.

I ran the following command to clear out the ARP Cache. That fixed the problem:

netsh interface ip delete arpcache

Now that I mention it, the network department had some issues.... mmmm.

User information not updated on SharePoint

When a user's full name or part there of, then the profile is not updated on SharePoint.
To fix, run:

stsadm -o migrateuser -oldlogin -newlogin

If you get the following error:

New user account does not have valid SID history.

Then run the command:

stsadm -o migrateuser -oldlogin -newlogin -igonoresidhistory

Last step, do an incremental import of user profiles on SharedServices.

Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Alerts partially not working

Some users on certain sites do not get alerts. Another bloggers post helped me.

Basically you do the following:

stsadm -o updatealerttemplates -url http://testserver -f "c:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\web server extensions\12\TEMPLATE\XML\alerttemplates.xml" -LCID 2057

I only used:

stsadm -o updatealerttemplates -url http://testserver

It worked for me.

Monday, April 11, 2011

ERROR: This Page has been modified since you opened it. You must open the page again.

ERROR: This Page has been modified since you opened it. You must open the page again. Refresh Page. This error was reported on only one site collection. This site collection was in it's own content database, over 100GB. Four web front ends and all reported the same error. Professor Google reported only custom pages and page layouts etc. Our problem occured on items that was out of the box, it occured on viewing lists, adding web parts to pages etc.
Further investigation showed that scheduled maintenance over the weekend did not take place. So the content database was defragmented, not a lot, but it was.
SharePoint SP2 was supposed to do the defragmentation online, which it didn't. After running rebuilding the indexes, the problem was solved. So this error has something to do with the indexes on your content database. I suspect the bigger your content datbase, the more you are likely to get this error if the indexes were not rebuild.